If you want to import a vehicle, legally, contact: ImportAVehicle.com

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

How to obtain a copy of a Certificate of Conformity for a light-duty vehicle (car, truck, or motorcycle)

A Certificate of Conformity is the document that EPA issues to a vehicle manufacturer to certify that a vehicle class conforms to EPA requirements. Every class of motor vehicle introduced into commerce in the United States must have a Certificate of Conformity. Certificates are valid for only one model year of production.
If you are exporting a motor vehicle from the U.S. to another country, they may require certification data for your motor vehicle. A Certificate of Conformity and Certificate Summary Information (or summary sheet data) will contain the emission standards the motor vehicle was certified to.
To request or find a Certificate of Conformity or Certificate Summary Information sheet, you need to know the Test Group number (for light-duty cars and trucks – model year 2001 or later) or the Engine Family number (for pre-2001 light-duty cars and trucks). This information is listed on the “Vehicle Emission Information” label/sticker located under the vehicle’s hood. The number has 11 characters using both numbers and letters. If your vehicle is missing the emission label you may be able to order a new one from your U.S. dealer or you can contact the manufacturer directly for the Test Group number for your particular vehicle.

Certificates of Conformity and Certificate Summary Information sheets are available on EPA’s Web site for model years 2003 and later.

  • Go to http://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/pubadvsearch.jsp (the Advanced Search page).
  • Choose “Certificates of Conformity” for Compliance Document Type.
  • Choose the industry (e.g., “Light-duty Vehicles and Trucks” for passenger cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs).
  • Choose the appropriate model year of the vehicle.
  • Choose the appropriate manufacturer of the vehicle.
  • Type in the vehicle model.
  • Skip the “Keyword Search”, “Engine Displacement", "Number of Cylinders", “Emission Control System”, and “Document Date on and after” fields.
  • Type in the Test Group or Engine Family number.
  • Click on the “Search” button.
  • Save and/or print the PDF file.

If you need a Certificate of Conformity or Certificate Summary Information for a vehicle with a model year before 2003, send the following information to EPA’s Imports Hotline (Email: Imports@epa.gov, Phone: 734-214-4100, Fax: 734-214-4676):

  • Model year of vehicle.
  • Manufacturer of vehicle.
  • Model of vehicle.
  • Test Group # (only applies to light-duty cars and trucks – model year 2001 or later).
  • Engine Family # (only for pre-2001 light-duty cars and trucks, and nonroad and heavy-duty engines/vehicles).
  • Your name.
  • Contact information (address, email address, or fax number where you want EPA to send the Certificate of Conformity).
Source: EPA Website


© Copyright by Vehicle Import and Car Importing FAQ  |  Template by Blogspot tutorial