If you want to import a vehicle, legally, contact: ImportAVehicle.com

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Guam : Importing a Motor Vehicle into Guam

 Are you going to Guam?  I have had a few friends that were station on Guam. I went there four times for a total of about 24 hours when I was in the US Navy back 1991-1997. A fuel stop in the middle of the Pacific.  The following is information about vehicle importation into Guam. They follow US requirements for import. HS7 , 3520-1. US legal vehicles unless over 25 years old.

American Samoa, Guam, the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Baker Island, Howland Islands, Jarvis Island, Johnston Island, Kingman Reef, Midway Islands, Palmyra, and Wake Island are all territories / possessions of the United States and as such are subject to the importation rules of the United States. They may have additional requirements to import into each territory as each one has a delicate ecosystem they are trying to protect.

Documents Required

  •  Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Form EPA-3520-21, if applicable
  •  OBL (foreign purchased vehicles)
  •  Bill of Sale / Pro-forma Invoice with Statement of Value (foreign purchased vehicles)
  •  Title of ownership translated into English (foreign purchased vehicles)
  •  Department of Transportation (DOT) Form HS-7
  •  Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Form 3520-1 (foreign purchased vehicles)
  •  Proof of conformity by either:

    •  USA Title / Registration, or
    •  Letter of Conformity from the manufacturer
    •  Foreign military sales contract that indicates vehicle meets USA-EPA / DOT regulations
    •  Exemption as a 25 model year old vehicle as proven by the title
 Copy of USA Title or Registration when previously registered in the USA (vehicles previously
owned and shipped from the USA by the returning importer)

 Completed EPA-3520-1, DOT, HS-7 and Customs 7501 forms (vehicles previously owned
and shipped from the USA by the returning importer)

 Letter of Permission from the EPA (non-residents importing vehicles as a tourist)
Specific Information

 For vehicles previously owned and shipped from the USA by the returning importer, the
ownership names must match with the consignee of the shipment on the vehicle Title and

 A non-USA resident can import a vehicle for a period of up to 1 year as a tourist, but no
extension will be allowed. The importer is required to obtain a permission letter prior to
shipping the vehicle from the EPA.

Vehicles imported by non-residents for tourism may not sell or offer for vehicle for sale and it
must be exported prior to the 1-year period or is subject to seizure and penalties by Customs.

 Some ports of entry (POE) require a bond for up to three times the value of the vehicle to
ensure the timely export of the vehicle. Additional port specific declarations may be required
for this temporary importation

 A Bill of sale or Pro-forma Invoice with the statement of value must include the vehicle’s
description, vehicle identification number (VIN), model and year of manufacture.

 In general vehicles that are 25 model years old and with the original drive train are exempt
from EPA / DOT regulations.

 Vehicles less than 25 model years old that were not previously titled in the USA must comply
with EPA / DOT regulations.

 The cost and time to bring a vehicle into compliance by an ICI (certified conversion shop)
make the process an unwise economic decision in most cases.

 It is strongly recommended not to import non-complying vehicles. In the event an importer
elects to attempt to import a vehicle it should be sent separately from household goods and
personal effects shipments to avoid delays in the receipt of the shipment.

 The importer must make arrangements with an ICI shop in the USA prior to shipping the
vehicle in order to get an estimate and to determine if the vehicle can be brought into

 Marine engines and gas-powered generators are also subject to EPA requirements
and Form EPA-3520-21 is normally required for those items.


© Copyright by Vehicle Import and Car Importing FAQ  |  Template by Blogspot tutorial